There are many layers of onions. I remember a Bible Study I once heard in the Most Excellent way – with each new layer there are tears – then just when you think you are through that layer of tears the next layer is even stronger and stronger.
Just like the layers of onions, so it is one’s faith walk. We are (or should be) continuously learning and growing closer and more like Christ. As we grow and become more like Him a pruning process should be taking place – that can be painful, which occasionally produces tears. As we become more like Christ we often are saying goodbye to old patterns and habits and lifestyles – that can be a challenging journey.
Over a period of about five months I have sensed the Lord whispering, “dig deeper”. I ignored those whispers at first because I was overwhelmed and believed I didn’t have time. But when the Lord woo’s and continues to whisper, it becomes impossible to ignore Him.
I had to confess jealousy was in my heart.
Because that jealousy had been there for a while and I didn’t deal with it or accept the path God chose for me, envy sprouted off the seed of jealousy.
And because I didn’t deal with the root of jealousy and the sprouting growth of envy, bitterness took root in my heart.
Dealing with those layers took time.
But, eventually, I became free over that sin.
Satan no longer has a hold over that area of my life. Because the roots of jealousy, envy, and bitterness had been dug up (root and all), I was able to submit under God’s authority in the area He has been calling me to for years – to teach.
This Thursday I will begin leading a six week study with the ladies at the Charis House at Olive Baptist Church Ministry Village.
If you are a believer in Jesus you know that when a person surrender’s an area of their life over to the Lord it ticks off Satan. Scripture tells us our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil. Well it didn’t take long for that warfare to begin. Within a few weeks after arranging to lead the study I watched the graduation service online for the ladies at the Charis House. It was absolutely amazing! But – Satan tried to replant what God has already dug up. The ladies were quoting scriptures and telling Bible stories like it was a first language – they knew it all.
And Satan began to whisper,
“They are so far advanced there isn’t anything you can teach them. It is them that should be teaching you!”
“You are pathetic. Why are you going to even do this. You just need to back out now.”
Fortunately, I recognized Satan’s tactics, and I contacted three friends who have prayed for me and the ladies, but as the day grows closer for the study to begin, one of the very topics our study is on, fear, is creeping in like a vengeance. On top of that, within a week of nailing down a date to start, sickness hit our house. We have had two separate viruses hit one child, then strep hit another, and the flu got the first one on top of the two viruses she already had! It has been UNREAL! Satan is really working hard – so if you read this, and if you know Jesus as Lord of your life, then I ask you to pray for the following things:
- That sickness will take a back seat and be gone.
- As a friend told me to do this morning, pray for a teachable spirit within me. I ask you to pray that over me and over the ladies, that we will have a teachable spirit (Proverbs 4:5).
- Ask the Lord to fill me with His Spirit and that every word that flows out of my mouth is of Him and only Him and that there will be freedom in our room (2 Corinthians 3:17).
- That God will use the story He has given me to give someone else hope (Genesis 50:20).
- Pray that as we address the giants in our lives that we will become free and be transformed by the power of the Holy Spirit (John 8:32).
- Pray that what is being learned and taught will carry these girls beyond the walls of the Charis House when they leave and that their heart will be pierced for Jesus (Ezekiel 36:26).
- Pray that our lives will be changed for eternity and that others will see the transformation in our lives and want the Jesus that lives within our hearts (Romans 12:2).
- And most importantly, if anyone doesn’t know Jesus as Lord of their life, that they will seek Him, and that He would become personally known to them (Romans 10:13).